Sunday, April 1, 2012

A to Z bloging challenge: A-All about me and Apples






A-to-Z Blogging challenge Day 1 the Letter A-All about me and Apples
First of all I like to welcome you to my blog (if you new here) and to day one of the blogging at to z challenge. Every April for the past couple of years bloggers are challenge to blog every day for the entire month of April on any topic they would like. This year my theme is going to be: My favorite things. It's  not to late to join the blogging challenge. You can join us by going here http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/
But before I get started on the letter A. I'd like to tell you a little more about myself. My name is Carol and I been blogging since July 2009. Wow how time flies. When I am not blogging I'm either taking care of my hubby and furry children, drawing, or at working at school with special needs children.
Now on the the Blogging Challenge.

A is for Apple
 Since my theme is favorite things I will be posting  about some of my favorite foods as well as sharing some of my favorite recipes. Don't worry not all my post will be about food.  Apples are one of my fruits.
I don't like any old apple. Gala apples are my favorite. Here are some other reasons that I love eating apples.
1.  Packing in quite a bit of soluble fiber (4 grams per medium apple) for a modest amount of calories (95) makes apples a filling, sweet snack.

2.  Apples satisfy hunger for few calories so it's not surprising that they can be part of a healthy diet that promotes weight loss.
And in a recent study, dried apples also helped participants lose some weight.
Women who ate a cup of dried apples daily for a year lost some weight and lowered their cholesterol and heart disease markers.

3. Last year, the Iowa Women's Health Study reported that, among the 34,000-plus women it's been tracking for nearly 20 years, apples were associated with a lower risk of death from both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease.
Some years earlier, Finnish researchers studying dietary data collected over 28 years from 9,208 men and women found that frequent apple eaters had the lowest risk of suffering strokes compared with non-apple eaters.
Experts attribute the heart-healthy benefits to antioxidant compounds found in apples, which help prevent LDL cholesterol from oxidizing and inhibit inflammation. Plus, the soluble fiber in apples has also been shown to lower cholesterol levels.

4.  People who eat apples may be less likely to suffer from metabolic syndrome, a cluster of symptoms linked to an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.

5.  Eating an apple before you work out may boost your exercise endurance. Apples deliver an antioxidant called quercetin, which aids endurance by making oxygen more available to the lungs.

I think the old adage is right. "An apple a day. Will keep the doctor away."

What are your favorite things that start with the letter A? 
post signature

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Sheila Siler said...

Asparagus . . .

 
At April 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

I've always loved apples. Golden Delicious are probably my favorites but I like most of them. Prefer the sweeter rather than the more tart ones. Other As that I love ... asparagus, avocado, and asiago cheese! :) Looking forward to tomorrow's post!

 
At April 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

I love avocados! Like your theme :) Happy A to Z!

 
At April 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Survivormama said...

I eat a lot of apples year round...they are so good for you. I love pink lady apples and with cheese...

 
At April 4, 2012 at 6:54 AM , Blogger Gregg Metcalf said...

I love apples, especially red delicious apples. We had two apple trees in our backyard and Irene would make pie and tasty deserts from it. A words? Air, Art, Army movies, (Mary) Ann, Angus (beef) asparagus...

Gregg Metcalf

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: A to Z bloging challenge: A-All about me and Apples 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 A to Z bloging challenge: A-All about me and Apples 24 25

26
27>