Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mud Bugs

Mud Bugs
This weekend I had the pleasure of eating mud bugs (aka crawfish) for the first time. Up until recently I had been to grossed out to try crawfish. I thought you had to suck the heads to eat them. And there was no way I was ever going to do that. Thankfully a friend of mine, a true Cajun set the record straight. After which I willing agreed to try them. 
The way you cook mud bugs is very interesting. I didn't realize you had to do it out side and I didn't realize how long it took. First you have to get everything ready. 
Then you cook the trimmings first. By trimmings I mean potatoes, corn on the cob, mushrooms and sausages. They give the the water flavor and taste yummy boiled with the spices.  For the spices they used Louisiana crab boil and Zatarans seasonings mix. I was very nervous about the seasonings. I don't like spicy food but I found it to be enjoyable and not to hot. After you put the trimmings. You start cooking the crawfish.

You cook them for five minutes and then you let them sit for five minutes and then let them sit for five minutes. After that they are ready to eat. Now, they are not the easiest seafood to eat but once you get the hang of it you're good to go. First you crack the shell and then peel the meat out. What do they taste like? Well I think that they taste just like shrimp. That's great because I can't eat shrimp because I am allergic to them. Now I have a wonderful alternative. Crawfish are quickly becoming one of my favorite foods.


Have you ever had mud bugs? Would you try them? What are your favorite foods? 


Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At May 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

My what an education about crawfish. I will say I'm pleased it was you and not me trying it.
I am not a lover of that sort of fish, the common ones like cod and plaice suits me fine.
Glad you did enjoy it afteer all that. Good for you.

Yvonne.

 
At May 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

Oh how I love crawfish!! The spicier the better! We have a couple of different friends who cook them quite well. The only thing I don't like it how your hands/fingers are all "spicy" for a while after!! Yumm!!

 
At May 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think I could eat them. I'm almost vegetarian and every year that goes by, I find the taste of meat harder and harder to stomach. My husband and son would love them though.

CD

 
At May 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Karen said...

One of my sons loves these, but I have never had the desire to try one...I have a weird thing about eating something that still looks like the "something"...like I said, it's weird I know....

 
At May 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've had them. A bit of work, but tasty!

 
At May 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Diana Ferguson said...

Allergic to them!

 
At May 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM , Blogger karen said...

I looooove crawfish! The head chef at the college I used to work at/go to made the best crawfish north of the Mason-Dixon line. He couldn't make them often due to the expense & availability, but when we had special events we almost had some and the were divine :)

 
At May 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

I've had crawfish already shelled and cooked into dishes like etoufee, gumbo, and such. I like it like that. I'm a lazy eater and don't like to go to too much work like taking off shells and such. But I do love shellfish, especially when it's just meat and no shells involved.

Lee
Tossing It Out

 
At May 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Nola said...

I've only ever had them already peeled in crawfish etoufee (sp?) down in New Orleans, they were delish!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: Mud Bugs 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 Mud Bugs 24 25

26
27>