Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Run of Love

This past Saturday I participated in my first real run. What I mean by a real run is that it was my first official race. I ran the 1 mile race in the Texas Mom's for CCA run.  CCA is the Children's Craniofacial Association (CCA)nonprofit organization whose mission is to empower and give hope to individuals and families with facial anomalies. My friend Becky son named Wade is a special needs child with facial anomalies. She was the one who first told me about the race. I couldn't say no. First of all it was a local race and second of all it benefited a group that helped special needs children. For those of you who don't know. I really enjoy teaching and working with special needs children. In fact in the spring I am going to go back to school and get my teacher certification so that I can work with them all the time.  I was super excited about the race until the night before the race. Then I was super nervous. I mean here I am a fluffy girl trying to run a mile race. What was I thinking!? Well I finally calmed down and decided that I was going to do the race. At the very least I was getting some exercise and raising money for a great organization.  The next day I got to the race sight early so I could watch and cheer on the 5k runners. That will be next year. This runner is my inspiration.
I figure that if this woman can run a 5K pushing two kids and still place in the top 25 then I can definately run the one mile race. Here's a shirt that one team of runners had at the event. I'd love to have one. It's so COOL and shares a great message!


Well before I knew it. It was time for the race to being. Here's a picture of me at the starting line.

Soon we were off. It was the most exhilarating thing I've ever done. Then all of a sudden my shins started killing me! I've  been training to run on the treadmill. I didn't realize running on concrete would make such a difference! Ouch! Well I finished the race in last place but at least I best time on a mile run EVER!  I'm so proud of myself! More importantly I reminded myself that I can indeed do whatever I set my mind too.

Is there anything you thought you could do and then you put your mind to it and did it?
post signature

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger mzzterry said...

way to go!! ;)

 
At October 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You did it!
For some reason, I can't view any of the photos...

 
At October 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Alex thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

 
At October 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM , Blogger christy said...

hey! that's me ;)

Congrats on running the race! We all have to start some where! I've been running w/my boys since they were 8 months old and started out very slow with ALOT of walking and then jogging :)

The program I used was Couch to 5k Good Luck!

 
At October 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Doreen McGettigan said...

The photo's are amazing I love the shirt for personal reasons.
How awesome to do something like this.
We did a walk last weekend. It does make you feel so much better mentally, physically and spiritually.

http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: Run of Love 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 Run of Love 24 25

26
27>