Friday, June 18, 2010

A Tasty Treat

A Tasty Summer Treat

 

Cushaws. You heard me right Cushaw. I had never heard of it before either until Memorial Day weekend.  My Uncle had some growing in his garden. I thought it was an under developed watermelon. It turns out that the Cushaw plant is anything but under developed. It's wonderful!
The green-striped cushaw is technically a winter squash grown in the American South. Fruits average 10 to 20 pounds, It can grow to be 12 to 18 inches long. The skin is whitish-green with mottled green stripes.
The flesh is light-yellow; it is mild and slightly sweet in flavor; meaty in texture and fibrous. It is sometimes called cushaw pumpkin and is often substituted for the standard, orange, jack-o-lantern pumpkin in pie-making.
I brought one home with me from Alabama and made a wonderful, delightful summer dessert.  What are your favorite summer foods?


BAKED CUSHAW
1 med. cushaw
2 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Dash nutmeg
Cut cushaw pieces. Scrape out seeds and boil until tender. Remove peeling, mix cushaw with all ingredients. Place in baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until brown on top.

Bon Appetit! :)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At June 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Sounds delicious.

Yvonne.

 
At June 18, 2010 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Wanda said...

Well I indeed learn something new today. :)

 
At June 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not a big fan of squash, but I'm brave enough to try anything once.

 
At June 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Karen said...

This is a new one to me, too...

My favorite summer foods are home grown tomatoes and fresh berries....

 
At June 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Single and Sane said...

10-20 pounds? Holy cow.

Can you make a side dish out of them, or do they work better as a dessert?

I love fresh produce in the summer, but ice cream's good, too! Especially with fresh fruit.

Margaret =)

 
At June 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've never heard of that vegetable and yet the recipe sounds so yummy!

CD

 
At June 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cushaw is fantastic with vanilla ice cream! :)

 
At June 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to your Movie Dirty Dozen on Monday!

 
At June 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Carol Kilgore said...

My mother-in-law used to fix cushaw. It was wonderful. Thanks for following my blog!

 
At June 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Arlee Bird said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: A Tasty Treat 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 A Tasty Treat 24 25

26
27>