Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lions and Life


L is for Lions and Life
I get to talk about one of my favorite animals today.
Lions
Lions live for ten to fourteen years in the wild, while in captivity they can live longer than twenty years. In the wild, males seldom live longer than ten years, as injuries sustained from continual fighting with rival males.They typically inhabit savanna and grassland, although they may take to bush and forest. Lions are unusually social compared to other cats. A pride of lions consists of related females and offspring and a small number of adult males. Groups of female lions typically hunt together, preying mostly on other animals.
Visually, the male lion is highly distinctive and is easily recognized by its mane. Here's a picture of my favorite lion. His name is Leo
Matt gave Leo to me when first started dating six years ago. At the time he was working like 50+ hours a week and we hardly ever saw each other. Isn't he cute!? 

Life
 I can't believe that April is here and almost already half over! Where has this year gone. It seems like every year time keeps slipping by faster and faster. I think that means I am getting old.! LOL I just wanted to remind everyone that life is precious and enjoy it while you can. One of my favorite country songs. "Don't Blink" by Kenny Chesney. Enjoy!


Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At April 13, 2010 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Nola said...

The older you get, the faster time seems to fly by!

 
At April 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Nola said...

BTW, you asked about a cast iron plant (Aspidistra elatior), it is a perennial that is apparently easy to grow indoors or out. Google it for a good photo. In my blog, you can see a bit of mine in the first photo of my most current post. It is in the back left side of the photo. I just got it, so we'll see what kind of luck I have with it.

 
At April 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM , Blogger Natasha said...

BTW- could you ask Leo which shampoo lions use? My six year old wants to know.

~ Rayna

 
At April 14, 2010 at 3:23 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

loved the post,my daughter loves lions and has ornamental ones all around her house.
Take care,
Yvonne Lewis

 
At April 14, 2010 at 5:44 AM , Blogger Jessica Bell said...

Very cute post. I had no idea lions lived such a short life. Very interesting!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is a very cute lion! And yes, time does seem to move much faster the older we get...I try not to let that little fact depress me, but it's not always easy! Very important to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment!

A great post!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Lions are indeed amazing creatures. I adore them, too, but try not to get too close as I don't want them to love me too much. :)

Life does pass by swiftly the older you get. I'm not saying anything, though. :)

Have a blessed day!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

What an adorable lion. Looks much loved!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Enjoyed your post....

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Grammy said...

Hi,
Speaking of lions - I don't know if you are familiar with Jerry Clowers or not, but he used to tell a lot of
"down home jokes and stories". He told one about his friend Marcel who had a little boy who loved to tell big whoppers of stories (lies). The yard had grown up quite a bit, and the grass was very tall, and the little boy saw a dog walking in the grass. He told his dad (Marcel) that he saw a lion out in the yard. Marcel said, "son, that is a lie. You never saw a lion in any yard. Now you go upstairs and you think about your lie. You pray to God and ask His forgiveness for that lie you just told." So the son goes upstairs and after awhile, Marcel calls up to his son and says, "Now son, have you talked to God about this lie you told?" and the son says, "Yeah, and God said that when he first saw that dog, he thought it was a lion, too."
Ha. Thought you might enjoy that joke.
Ruby

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Granny. I've heard of Jerry Clowers. My grandparents loved to listen to him. I've never heard that story though. It's a great one. Thanks for sharing! :)

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM , Blogger ModernDayDrifter said...

You really summed it up with things flying by. I can't believe it's already April. The song you posted is excellent too. So true. Great post.

 
At April 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

time flies once you hit 21 ... =) Happy wednesday

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: Lions and Life 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 Lions and Life 24 25

26
27>