Friday, April 9, 2010

I is for Imagination

I is for Interesting


Today I discovered something interesting Well actually someone. Someone I knew of in elementary school but didn't meet till today. His  name is Shell Silverstein. Shell Silverstein is an poet, comic, songwriter and overall Renaissance Man. Today I read my students some of his poetry and they just loved it! I did too! His poems are so fun and interesting so I'm going to share some with you. Plus, I was having a hard time coming up with something for I. 


Messy Room
Whosoever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp. 

His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair, 
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp. 
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor. 
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV, 
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet, 
His vest has been left in the hall. 
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed, 
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall. 
Whosoever room this is should be ashamed! 
Donald or Robert or Willie or--
Huh? You say it's mine? Oh, dear,
I  knew it looked familiar!


The Meehoo with an Exactly Watt This one reminds me of the 3 Stooges skit about Who's on First.
Knock Know!
Who's There
Me!
That's right!
What's right? 
Meehoo!
That's what I want to know!
What's what you want to know?

Me, who? 
Yes, exactly!
Exactly
what
yes, I have an Exactly watt on a chain!
Exctly what on a chain?
Yes!
Yes what?
No, Exactlywatt!
That's what I wnat to know!
I told you -Exactlywatt!

Exactly what?
Yes, it's with me!
What's with you?
Exactlywatt-that's what's with me.
Me who?
Yes!
Go away!
Knock Knock.....


My favorite one of Shel Silverstein's poem's is called Sick. I know we've all felt this way when it's time to go to school or work. 


Sick
"I cannot go to school today."
Said little Peggy Ann McKay. 
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry, 
I'm going bind in my right eye. 
My tonsils are as big as rocks, 
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen, 
And dog you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut-my eyes are blue--
it might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and sap and choke, 
I'm sure that my left leg is broke==
My hip hurts when I move my chin, 
My belly button's caving in, 
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is tiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth.,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's been, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
there is a hole inside my ear. 
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say? 
You say today is...Saturday?
G'bye. I'm going out to play!"


Who are your favorite poets and authors? If you would like to learn more about shell Silverstein check out his webpage. Enjoy! 


Labels:

13 Comments:

At April 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM , Anonymous Melody said...

I love Shel Silverstein's poems. Thanks for the reminder... I read some to my little boy a few months ago when I found a book at someone's house. Time to pull out some more of those books to read to him (and laugh at myself!)

 
At April 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Ella said...

I love him his book "The Giving Tree" is one of our favs in my home!
Thanks for sharing; some more of his work~

 
At April 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Great poetry. I've never heard of him before today, though. I really like Robert Frost. :)

 
At April 10, 2010 at 3:00 AM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I like the poetry of Percy Shelly, and my favourite authors are Paul Mckenna Phd whose books have hepled me so much and Celia Aherne who wrote "PS I Love You".

Thanks for a splendid blog very intersting to read and most enjoyable.

Yvonne.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 3:50 AM , Blogger Jessica Bell said...

Absolutely loved the messy room poem :) made me laugh. I personally am a big fan of Christina Rossetti :)

 
At April 10, 2010 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Diana Ferguson said...

Yes, his writings are wonderful.

Have a great weekend.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Gregg Metcalf said...

Favorite authors for books:

Luke, The Gospel of Luke
Robert Sterling, The President's Plane is Missing
Clive Cussler, Raise the Titanic
Louis Lamour, everything

Favorite songwriters:

Wayne Kemp
George Jones
Tim Watts & Gregg Metcalf
Fanny Crosby

Favorite Poets

Keaton

 
At April 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not really a poetry person. But that's cool you got to meet him again.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Single and Sane said...

Carol - Your alphabet posts have been great!

I always loved The Little Prince. I never read it until high school, but once I did, I fell in love with it.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

Interesting indeed! Never heard of him before... thank you for sharing some of his work... :-) Looking forward to your Monday post!

 
At April 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Raquel Byrnes said...

I grew up on Silverstein's poems! Love, love, love him. Now my kids know him by heart. Great post.

 
At April 10, 2010 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Grammy said...

Hi, Carol,
I am a retired elementary school librarian and love Shel Silverstein! His book "The Giving Tree" is a favorite of mine, also his book, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" contains a collection of his poems. Both of those books had a big checkout volume in my library. His imagination is tremendous!
Thanks for writing about him!
Ruby

 
At April 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Nola said...

Those poems are adorable; I'll go google for more of his works. Hope you had a lovely weekend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: I is for Imagination 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 I is for Imagination 24 25

26
27>