Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Conversation Hearts, Facebook, and Lent

Matthew 16:21 - From that time on Jesus began to explain to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the Law, and that He must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.  


Lent starts tomorrow. I've never participated in Lent before. No I am not Catholic I am Lutheran. I just think it is a good idea to give up something for God. I have decided to give up Facebook and conversation hearts.What better way to break (or at least curb)  a bad habit than to give it to God. I also hope by observing the season, the suffering and death of Jesus Christ becomes even more precious and meaningful to me. 
  Conversations hearts you say? I know, I know it, sounds silly but I am SO addicted to them! They are one of the few candies that are gluten free! I buy the bags right after Valentine's Day (when they are on clearance) and make them last till the next Valentine's Day. I just eat 3 or 4 hearts a day and I'm good.  Some times on bad days I might grab a handful though.  I especially love  the new Necco flavors Strawberry, Green Apple, Lemon, Grape, Orange and Blue Raspberry! Bad huh? 
As for Facebook-well I've been cutting on it so it should be no big deal.  Hopefully
I think while I am having Facebook with drawl I am going to start reading So Long Insecurity  by Beth Moore. It should help keep my on God and less on what I am giving up.  
If there is anyone else out there participating in Lent this year I would be interested to hear what you are giving up - I always find it neat the different things people find hard to let go of for a bit. 



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At February 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

Hey Carol, I usually give up sweets. By this time I am out of control from Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentines Day. If you just focus on Jesus, it's not that difficult. Just keep saying, you're doing it for Him. I tell myself, it's the least I can do in return!

 
At February 17, 2010 at 8:17 AM , Anonymous Misty said...

Good luck Carol! Facebook would be VERY VERY hard for me to give up!

 
At February 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM , Anonymous Kristin said...

Good Luck!

 
At February 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Nola said...

That's a good thing to do; I am not Catholic either, but several of my cousins are. As a child, I was so jealous that they got to give up something for lent!

 
At February 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

I grew up Catholic, so I often gave up candy. Our church now does not celebrate Lent. However now as an adult that really gets the meaning of Lent, I would like to use this time to draw closer to God.

I just starting reading So Long Insecurity. I like it!

 
At March 22, 2010 at 1:18 AM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

Yay! Me too! I think you are the second person I have met on bloggerland that is doing a facebook fast for lent... I'm the same, I have never participated in lent but this year around I was challenged to give up something that meant alot to me & at this point it's facebook... i love facebook! Anyhow, it took a while to get used to but it's all good in the end! :-)

 
At March 22, 2010 at 1:19 AM , Blogger Tori Cooper said...

P.S. I was recommended that book "So long insecurity" thanks for the reminder! Got to get it... I promised that I would and read it! :-) How far along are you?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: Conversation Hearts, Facebook, and Lent 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 Conversation Hearts, Facebook, and Lent 24 25

26
27>