Monday, June 28, 2010

There She Blows

There She Blows!


With Tropical Storm Alex in the Gulf I guess it's time for me to get our emergency preparedness kit together. I've been putting it off.  I hate to even think about the possibility of having to evacuate again. However, living less than 5 from the Gulf of Mexico it would be stupid of me not to be prepared. FEMA recommends the following items be in a families Emergency Preparedness kit:

  • Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
  • Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Whistle, unbreakable mirror to signal for help
  • Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
  • Moist towelettes,  hand sanitizer, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Can opener & utensils for food (if kit contains canned food)
  • Local maps
  • Cell phone and chargers
  • Water proof matches or lighterFood, 
  • at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food PER PERSON and also Pets
It's recommended that you keep this kit ready so when and if you have to evacuate the only things you have left to pack are the essentials.  Essential Day to Day items and items you consider priceless.  This is the worse part-I think. Deciding what things you want to take with you; knowing these items may be the only things left when you return.  I take my pictures. I couldn't bear to part with them. They are glimpses of such wonderful memories of family and friends. 


Are there natural disasters that could occur in your area? If so what do you do to prepare for them? 


Oh yeah, I've started another blog. It's called The Diary of a Healthy Girl Wanna Be. I am striving to live healthier. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks :) 

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At June 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM , Blogger RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I hope "Alex" don't distrupt your lives. We are lucly here we had one hurricane many years ago but that was out of order for this part of the word.

Will take a peep at your new blog.
Best of luck with it.
Yvonne,

 
At June 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Diana Ferguson said...

You get prepared, girl!!

 
At June 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well, last year, when I lived in Mexico and the swine flu broke out, everything shut down. People didn't want to even go into the Walmart to buy food because they were afraid of catching something. I sure wished I had stocked up then.

CD

 
At June 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry my namesake is bothering you!
And we get hurricanes and tornadoes. No fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: There She Blows 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 There She Blows 24 25

26
27>