Sunday, January 10, 2010

You Don't Have To Go To A Wedding To Enjoy Italian Wedding Soup!

Well I did it. I decided to try a recipe and make it gluten free. I have to admit it was a lot easier to convert the recipe than I thought it would be. I decided to make Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup. I got the soup recipe from one of my Facebook Friends Laurie B. Thanks Laurie! It turned out great!

First the meatballs. (This recipe was take from www.celiacs.com)

Gluten Free Meatballs
1 lb. of ground meat
1/4 c. of gluten free crackers, bread, or tortilla chips
2 eggs
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese.
Mix ingredients together and form balls.  Bake for 20-30 min turning once after about 10-15 minutes. 

for this recipe I ended up using gluten free tortilla chips because that was all I had on hand. Watch the meatballs and make sure they do not burn. I only cooked mine half the time stated on the recipe.
They smell heavenly! Here's what they looked like when I took them out of the oven.

While the meatballs were baking I started on the soup.
Italian Wedding Soup
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups water
1 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained

1 large onion ( I prefer purple onions)
3 stalks celery-finely chopped

3 carrots-sliced

2 bay leaves
5 or 6 basil leaves torn into pieces





Add water and broth to a big pot. Add finely chopped celery, onion, and carrots. Next add a few dashes of salt and pepper, a bay leaf and a few finely chopped fresh basil leaves. Cook on low until the vegetables are tender. Add meatballs to soup once they are done.  Add spinach to soup. Simmer for 10 minutes. 




I serve a few meatballs in each bowl along with a couple of shakes of Parmesan cheese! I hope you try out my recipe. Click here for a printable link.  If you do please let me know what you think. I'd love to hear from you!



Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM , Blogger gfe--gluten free easily said...

Look at you! You made your recipe printable. :-) Converting to gluten free is easy, isn't it? It's mostly a mental block at first. Truthfully, for meatballs, I often just leave out the crackers, bread, or other filler. In this case, the Parmesan cheese by itself would probably be enough. Your soup sounds and looks very good, Carol!

Shirley

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: You Don't Have To Go To A Wedding To Enjoy Italian Wedding Soup! 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 You Don't Have To Go To A Wedding To Enjoy Italian Wedding Soup! 24 25

26
27>