Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The First Cut


Well I cut out my pattern today. I was hoping to be able to cut it out yesterday but I discovered the pattern had issues. The yardage on the back was only half the amount I needed. I had also misread what size I was. I had no idea that you had to get measured and go by the measurements not your ready to wear size. I have never worn a size that big! I mean I know I am a voluptuous woman but oh my goodness!It's definitely a good diet/exercise reminder motivator. Well i got my piece of material home and prepared and I was good to go. Here's a picture of my material pinned and ready to be cut. Yes, in case you are wondering I was pinning on the floor. The table hurt my back to much-it's to low. Honey, now you what you can buy me for Christmas-a sewing table. :)

Pinning the pattern made me wish I paid more attention in math
. I was starting to get frustrated Thankfully Sophie came to rescue! For those of you who don't know my husband and I have a miniature dachshund name Sophie. She's my pride and joy. She always into everything and seems to senses when I am stressed or upset. I think that she thinks it is her duty to cheer me up and she always does. Well I was getting frustrated when she jumps off the couch onto the cutting board. She starts sniffing around everywhere and comes across my box of pins. Well being the curious dog she is she sniffs the pins. As soon as she does, she lets out a howl and starts running around the couch endlessly! She made me laugh so hard I started crying. Thankfully no pins got stuck in nose. I think that they scared her more than anything. After that she decided she was going to observe my sewing from afar. :)
Well I cut the pattern out with no problem and have it the sides marked and ready to begin sewing. I am curious of one thing though. Is it normal to label pattern pieces with tape? I never have but then I have never cut out a patter before.
Well I am all set and ready to go. I just need to figure out which machine I am gonna use. I have 3 (I'll explain why I have three for some other blog post). I need to finish setting up my sewing area as well. I am hoping to start the machine work this evening or tomorrow.
Love, peace and sewing pleats!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At August 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM , Blogger nheimberg said...

Yay for you. I am new to sewing also. I have an apron pattern cut out, but have not yet sewn it together. It is a really cute harvest fabric so I need to complete it for Thanksgiving. I also have some simple (hopefully) patterns for some childrens A-line dresses and jumpers for my daughter. Do you use the tape to differentiate the front from the back of the fabric? Sometimes they are very similar.
Thanks for the blog post. Hopefully it will get me motivated to finish my apron. I look forward to your journeys through that book. Well wishes

~Natasha

 
At August 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM , Blogger BeeBee said...

Don't let the sizing scare you. Pattern sizes have nothing to do with RTW sizes. It's just a number, measure and make the size it says and enjoy your PJ's.
If you need help, stop by Stitcher's Guild and ask, we all were new at one time. Cute fabric, by the way. Don't toss the scraps, you'll find a use for them some where.

 
At August 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks ladies! :)

 
At August 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM , Blogger Dena said...

Purchasing the right size pattern can be confusing and a little frustrating. The main thing is to ensure you have taken accurate measurments and know that for pants, you want to follow your hip measurement. Most people's measurements don't match the measurements on the pattern envelope.

You mentioned marking the pattern with tape? Are you referring to transferring the pattern marks to the fabric? Personally, I would not use tape on my fabric because you could damage your fabric from the adhesive. However, I do use painter's tape for quilting and machine embroidery, just not for sewing garments.

Good luck on your first project. Sounds as though you're heading in the right direction.

 
At August 25, 2009 at 7:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dena
I didn't think about adhesive from tape damaging the fabric. I will switch to painters tape. I wonder why it did not specific the use of painters tape instead of regular tape. Thanks for the tip! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: The First Cut 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 The First Cut 24 25

26
27>