Monday, June 24, 2013

Worry Wart

They say the first step is to admit that you have a problem. Well I have a problem. My name is Carol and I'm a chronic worrier. Not about most things just the big things-finances, making ends meet, being able to provide for my family-things like that. You get the idea. You may not think this is such a bad thing but......The worst part is  that I am worrier who is also a Christian.
Recently God has been really convicting me on my faith and worrying. Can I say that I am truely walking with God when I worry? His word says, " Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life." as well as "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understandings...."  I believe that worry hinders not only you spiritual life but your physical being as well.  I made a decision to quit fretting (with some help from His Word and Breaking the Worry Habit...Forever by Elizabeth George). Every time that I start to worry; I have decided that I am going to make a conscious decision to pray instead. 
Of course, as soon as I made this decision I was but to the test.
In case you don't know, I am a susbstitue teacher. Most of the year I have all the work I want and then some. However, right before, and right after Christmas break is very slow time for us subs. So much so that I've only worked a half a day through the middle of January. It's never been this slow for me! So of course I was worrying about finding jobs. But being determiend to nip this thing in the bud instead I began to pray. Immediately, I felt such a peace and comfort that I know could only come from God.  A few hours when I was tempted to fret I'd pray some more and things would immediately look up.
 I am happy to report that work has begun to pick up. I firmly believe that it is because I have chosen to trust God, and pray instead of worrying. I know that I will probably continue to struggle with worry but I firmly believe I've taken the first step on the road to recovery.

Philippians 4:6-7 : Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
Do you struggle with worry? How do you deal with worry?


post signature

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Stacey @ Chasing Cloud 9 said...

I am a chronic worrier! That verse stayed with me when we were preparing to move a few years back.

 
At June 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I have been trying to pray instead of worrying...but did not make a formal decision about it.

This was exactly what I needed to read today to be reminded that prayer is always the better way, and worrying is bad for me spiritually and physically. Thank you for that.

 
At June 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, that is my life verse! My brain is a dangerous thing and I struggle with worry and anxiety too. I like the rest of that passage as well (philippans 4:8). I have to remind myself to focus on what it TRUE!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

02 03 04 Carol's Corner: Worry Wart 05 13 14 15 16 17 18
19

This page has moved to a new address.

20

21 22 23 Worry Wart 24 25

26
27>